Locations & Permissions

Council land
Filming and photography on council land is arranged through the city council’s Outdoor Events team. You need to apply for a permit and fees are payable in line with other cities and towns. The small and dedicated team can provide advice and support about other permissions and notifications you may need in order to film in the city. An application form is available on the city council web site

Royal Pavilion
With its exotic exterior and flamboyant interiors the Royal Pavilion is a popular location for all kinds of professional filming and photography and has featured in many well known films and on TV. You need to seek permission directly from the Pavilion Estate and full details of the conditions, fees and other considerations are available on their web site.

Brighton Pavilion

Photo: Brighton Pavilion ©Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove

Private Land
You will need to seek the permission of the landowners of private buildings and locations for filming. The council’s Events team can advise you which are private and which are council owned.
To facilitate this process the city council has a partnership with Creative England to try and get as many landowners, businesses and residents to sign up for the national Creative England locations database.

Creative England Locations database
Creative England is a not-for-profit company, which offers a free bespoke service to film and TV productions shooting anywhere in England, outside of London, as well as promoting England as a premiere film location.  
Their location database is entirely free to register and they do not take a cut of any agreed location fees. They will broker direct contact between locations and interested film companies, and assist and advice in negotiations if necessary.
You can register your property or search their database here: creativeengland.co.uk